Thursday, March 03, 2005

After birth...

..comes parenting! And the overwhelming (at times) obligations that accompany this most important of jobs. I still haven't finished the entry from the other night, detailing the day Lindsay was born, one week ago. One week to write that up -- I guess that's about par for the course for a new dad. I can't complain much -- Lindsay has been, by large, a fantastic sleeper during this first week. But the demands on our time have shifted so dramatically that I find myself very easily blowing this journal off in favor of some shut eye.

I consider myself someone who has had trouble finishing things in my life. Too many disappointing examples to enumerate here, but trust me, it's true. I'd like this to be different, for my own sake more than anything, but also for the sake of Lindsay and Ella and Nicola.

I mean, who else is going to document Ella's star showing tonight during her first evening at our house with Lindsay. Her eyes lit up like it was Christmas morning when she walked in the door and saw Lindsay sleeping in the "bucket" on the couch, and for the next 3 hours, she never wanted to leave her little sister's side. She held her little hand, she stroked her head, she kissed her brow. She even skipped desert in order to watch Nicola breastfeed -- now if that doesn't tell ya something! Ella just couldn't get enough, from observing diaper changes to reading books to Lindsay. And the peak of it all was as Ella was in the bathroom, just before bedtime, singing and making up the following song (excerpted -- I was laughing too hard to remember all of it):

I love my sister!
She's the sweetest and the cutest and the smoochiest.
I'm so glad I have a sister and not a brother.
Sisters are much better than brothers.
Brothers are mean to each other.

I can't begin to do this justice...but for God's sake, how unbelievably blessed are we? Ella -- I just love that kid more and more everyday. She told me she would like to be here everyday until Lindsay is not a baby anymore (a year?)...and shit, I wish I could make that happen. There's a certain bittersweet current running deep beneath this happiness...not regret, exactly, but just a wish of some kind that things had turned out differently so I was married to this incredible woman (who I blundered badly with on the birth "recognition" -- story for another time) AND had Ella 24/7. I suppose it's good we are here, making the best of a mostly good but occasionally sad and frustrating situation. Ella will know her father and will have a solid, loving, parental relationship with him, and she will benefit from having a totally cool, open-minded and supportive step mother, and she will get to be a big sister.

Some much more to say, but I think the key to writing here daily is to write short. 10 minutes, in and out.

Before I go, a few quick observations on the past week:

10 minutes minimum each night. Come on. I can do that, right?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?