Sunday, March 06, 2005

Heels and Rays

A Tar Heel victory over Dook and back-to-back days of glorious sunshine are a great recipe for a weekend. So despite yesterday's sobering news, I look at the past two days as quite good. Ella got to spend a lot of time with Lindsay and showed, as we expected, that she will be a loving and doting big sister. She was right there for almost every diaper change -- on mobile duty, getting the music going to soothe (kind of) her baby sister. Wherever the baby was, that's where Ella wanted to be. Pretty great feeling for their first weekend together.

The sun was out for a change, allowing us to go on some walks, wash the cars and go to the park. Ella had a marathone 40-minute swing session, and then everyone (incl. Connie and John) sat down for a picnic lunch at the park. We returned home in time to watch the UNC-Duke game, and as all the ladies slept (Lindsay next to me on the couch, Nicola and Ella in our bed), I watched a thrilling game that came down to the wire. Marvin Williams, your legend began tonight! And the Sean May Kicking-Ass Tour continued! What a great feeling...and kinda silly for a 35-year-old man, I suppose. But still fun. And I don't have to worry about the t-shirt curse -- we all wore Carolina garb today, the same stuff we wore to the Santa Clara game in November, and if the Heels had lost again today, well...those shirts were in trouble. Not that I believe in such mumbo jumbo...this year is different, I told myself (with Nicola's help) during the Red Sox World Series run. And lo and behold it was! But that was last year....Hmm. Definite overanalysis of something I purport not to believe in anyway.

All in all, a nice weekend, and a nice way to send me back out into the work world. Nicola is anxious about me going back; she speaks of my calming influence in the house. Don't know about that. I certainly feel more sure of myself with a baby the second time around, and I'm familiar enough with the challenges that I just kind of roll with them. In any event, I have every confidence in Nicola, although I will miss being home with her and Little Miss Lindsay Peanut Butterbean. I am glad her mom is here to help out for most of the week. Extra hands sure are nice.

Future topics:
Late-night call from Dad tonight
Taking the next steps in our road to responsibility (life insurance, Roth, etc.)
People I need to reach out to: where are you Thad, and why haven't I heard from you?
Pets: where to draw the line (e.g., should we spend $600 to get Bailey's teeth cleaned?)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?