Friday, March 04, 2005

Non-baby frustration

Things that are fucking pissing me off today:

Baby-wise, things were pretty good today. A county health nurse dropped in and said we are doing swell -- Lindsay is packing on the ounces and packing full the diapers, so two thumbs up! Nicola continues to battle the "baby blues" -- I think her talks today with Julie and Stacy (tipped off by Connie?) may have helped. I wish there was more I can do, but I get a sense of powerlessness when she's weepy. Tonight, I just decided to take charge and do what I could -- get dinner going, distract Ella, take the fussy baby and have Nicola and Ella eat, send Nicola and Lindsay to bed at 7:55 p.m., and so on. I wonder if I'm concentrating on these tasks because I feel impotent (scared?) to attempt to address the emotional issues. Nicola is very strong emotionally, and she's certainly entitled to her weak moments, as the hormone levels cliff dive back down to normal. I guess I'm not used to hearing her say she's overwhelmed...again, not that it isn't understandable.

Ella was fabulous again tonight, and tomorrow we're off to the audiology dept. at Children's Hospital for a diagnostic test on Lindsay's hearing. I'm nervous...I so badly, so desperately want everything to be perfect. I'd settle for OK. We already know we hit the 1 in 6000 odds for her microtia, so know I would like -- attention, Universe -- for Lindsay's hearing to be as good as it can be, and for the ear issues she has to have as little impact on her as possible. I've had one minor emotional shudder over this -- I sense it tucked behind the wall, but I'm not ready to let it out yet.

Tomorrow night, the Final Celebration in the World's Longest 5-Year-Old Birthday Party takes place. Due to Lindsay's arrival last week, we had to postpone Ella's birthday party with us. She's got one more round of presents and cake, and then that's it! Damn, I do want to get her a bike, though.

So, it's clear that my computer geek skills peaked in 9th grade, when I was writing programs in Basic on TRS-80s. But I make a mean batch of frozen french fries (thanks for the kudos tonight, Ella).


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?