Friday, April 01, 2005

Back in the saddle

I'm too tired to write much right now. I feel like sleeping or watching some VH1 brain candy would be a better use of my time...however, it's been more than a week since I blogged, and I want to get back into the swing of things here at MWBR.

What's been revealed in the past week is more and more of Lindsay the tiny individual, instead of The Baby. She follows the elephant around in a circle on the mobile above her changing table. I swear up and down that she's given me a glimpse of a smile twice, but I have no evidence of that. Just a little something between a girl and her daddy. She lies on her back and observes and kicks and yelps. She spent more than 20 hours in the car over the course of three days and was a happy/sleepy tiny rockstar for 95% of that...including dozing in Nicola's arms through a 21-gun salute at a military cemetary overlooking the San Diego harbor.

Mom and Dick arrived tonight for their first meeting with their new granddaughter. Ella's here with us and has bounced back from a Thursday funk that led to an early exit from school and an out-of-nowhere "nap" at 6 p.m....not to mention a few tears.

Oh, and the Tar Heels are in the Final Four! It's been somewhat anticlimactic, as I spent last weekend's games twitchy and waiting for something to go wrong and end UNC's season. Now the pressure is on the Heels as the most-talented team left. Instead of sweating it, I should shake off the doldrums and just keep believing that this "year" is different (I use year loosely, because it and this theory started with the Sox last fall).

What else...saw Nicola's family in Vista/San Diego for Robert (Bob) Campbell's funeral. Made me wish I'd had time to get to know the gentleman better. We plowed through California's Central Valley on I-5...that's a boring route if I've ever seen one, and full of juicy yellow and red insects (I'll post a picture to document this). As I mentioned Lindsay was great for almost the whole time, including sprawling on a double bed in her first hotel.

I'm sure there are other observations I'm missing...like the power and poignancy of "Taps"...took me back to my own grandfather's funeral at Arlington National Cemetary.

More recaps to come. Go Heels!!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?