Monday, April 04, 2005

CHAMPS!

The Tar Heels win it all!! UNC 75, Illinois 70.

In 1993, I cried tears of joy. Tonight, I'm just drained. Exhilirated, but drained. I watched the game and anguished and worried and fretted with Eric Gribbin tonight, and at the end, we embraced and danced around a little. What a great feeling, to have my alma mater -- the location of five of the best years of my life, the place where I made some of my closest friends ever (Gene, Louis, Dave) -- claim this title.

I know there are those who believe that emotional investment in a sports team/franchise over which one has no control whatsoever is folly, not to mention a waste of time in light of all the world's other "important" things. But to love irrationally is a human birthright, and it is one that is not just confined to another person (although that's good too). So, each March/April...and during the Dook games...I get tied up in knots over Carolina. (Tonight, those knots caused me to briefly be a complete tool to Nicola -- my deep apologies, my love) And on the occasions when there is triumph, I rejoice! And I secretly believe just a tiny bit that wearing the same shirt today that I have worn for each game of the tournament makes a difference. How's that for irrational!

Congratulations to the 2004-05 Tar Heels, and farewell to many of them. We the fans thank you for the excitement you bring to us, and for helping us believe in the magic of t-shirts.

I wonder where I'll be the next time? Let's hope it's not 12 more years...I'll be 47 then, and Ella will be 17 and Lindsay will be 12. Yeegads. How old that feels.

On a closing note: my sports allegiance hot streak continues -- Red Sox, then Patriots, now the Heels. Quite a six-month stretch!

Comments:
I'm so happy I got to share this game with you. It meant a lot to be with one of like mind during this most stressful and rewarding of games. Now if we could just drive to Franklin Street and get our championship tees. If we left right now, we'd get there by Friday morning...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?