Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Circling back

I've left more than a few loose ends on this blog, and today I'm of a mind to fix two of them.

One is not easy to conclude: completing my thoughts on the night/day of Lindsay's birth will take some quiet contemplation, which I hope will come later tonight (on the job right now).

One is easy: this post on the F-Line streetcars in San Francisco included some butchered virtual translation of Italian signage. My old high school friend Claudia, a native Italian speaker, kindly corrected BabelFish (and me) with the following:

Italian Streetcar Lesson 101:
DURANTE LA MARCIA REGGERSI AGLI APPOSITI SOSTEGNI - While moving hold on to the handles provided
VIETATO SPUTARE - No Spitting, or It is Forbidden to Spit
IL GUSTO DI RIDERCI SOPRA - roughly as: The satisfaction of having a laugh (over/about it)


Thanks Claudia (who, amazingly enough, has also been to South of the Border! Poor girl).

More later.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?