Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Early notice

In the mail today was a release form from the Alameda school district, addressed to us as Lindsay's parents. It basically says we allow the school system to receive records Children's Hospital pertaining to Lindsay's ear...and I'm thinking, "Already? She won't go to school for five years!" And then I'm thinking, "Wait -- this is from the special education folks. I don't like the feel of that one bit! My daughter won't need that kind of help!" But, I suppose she might, and on the other hand, isn't it nice how thorough the response has been to the "lucky ear" situation -- different agencies and health care providers all reaching out to offer us help.

Of course, I'm not sure how much help we need yet. Our appointment with the cranio-facial (hideous name -- conjures images of Frankenstein or something) team at Children's is Monday morning. We'll get more information, I think, on what additional tests will be done, what the options for reconstruction are down the road, etc. All things I wish I didn't have to know...but I'm glad we have a Children's Hospital to go to.

I don't know how people live in rural areas. I've never lived more than about 30 minutes from a major airport, and I've almost always lived in major metropolitan areas (Chapel Hill notwithstanding). I wouldn't say I'm a city boy, but I do enjoy being near the amenities and activities of the big city. Chatham was a small town, but New York was right there, and so on. I imagine I would go a bit stir crazy, living in a remote or isolated region. I suppose I'd get a lot of reading done!

I didn't really have a clear idea tonight of what I wanted to write about...so as a result, it's a complete hodge podge. I think I'll post some photos instead.

For the record: I worked from home today because Nicola was feeling under the weather and neither of us got much sleep last night. God bless the AAO and my awesome boss.

Comments:
I grew up in a town of 400 people, with no 911 or police force or hospital. We did have a volunteer fire department! Looking back on it, this was a pretty scary situation. But at the time, we just didn't have a lot of emergencies. Not sure what we would've done. The time I got stung 14 times by yellowjackets was the closest I ever came to one, and I'd have to say the ride to the hospital was a long one. Then they gave me Benadryl, which is how we discovered I was allergic to Benadryl (I swelled up like Augustus Gloop). We are indeed lucky to be so close to modern medical equipment and people who know how to use it. Wonderful photos, by the way!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?