Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Sweetheart

A couple of oh-so-cute things Ella has done recently:

First of all, there was the time that she was holding Lindsay in her lap, and Lindsay was a little bit fussy. And Ella was saying, ever so gently: "Oh, sweetheart. It's OK sweetheart. Don't be upset. Your big sister is here. All you need is your mommy and daddy and big sister." It was a downright Hallmarkian moment, I tell ya. Ella just can't get enough of being a big sister -- as demonstrated by the star pendant she is still wearing around her neck. We gave it to her on Feb. 24 in the hospital, sort of for her birthday and sort of as something special for her on Lindsay's "big day." We thought she'd like it because Nicola has a similar one that her dad gave her...but when I asked Ella the other day why she wears it, she said, "So I don't forget I'm a big sister." Incredible! And someone remind of this in 10 years when they are fighting over something pedestrian, as siblings will do.

Then there was today, when my phone rang at work at about 10 a.m. It was Ella, calling to tell me about her doctor's appointment and how brave she'd been: "I got three shots and I didn't even cry at all!" she says. "I even watched the shots. And I got two stickers, and one of them says 'Be nice to me. I got a shot day.'" I love it when Ella calls me on her own (a little maternal prodding is probably involved, but not always), and it was made even better today when she said she wanted to call Nicola right after she talked to me to tell her the news. Nicola was so touched.

So many precious little moments in a child's life, and they are so easy to forget. I should dig up the old videos of Ella to remind me of what she looked like and acted like as a baby. It becomes so hard to recall them at a younger age, because the age they are at is...just who they are. It's hard to explain. Ella is Ella, and I know she was different at two than she is at five, but the brain blurs the memories together with the present.

To aid in remembering Lindsay, today's snapshot: no poops for 24 hours, then three or four within several hours (mercifully, I was at work); sleeping in my arms on the couch tonight as I struggled to stay awake at 6:30 p.m.; your mom is concerned you are addicted to the "miracle blanket" (aka the straitjacket) and the swing...but whatever works to help you sleep peacefully. Six weeks that have flown by like nothing.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?