Monday, June 13, 2005

Magical

"I wish Lindsay was a baby that never cried -- I wish she was a magical baby. And that we were a magical family."

So said Ella this past weekend...or she said something like it (I'm paraphrasing). When she was asked what we would be able to do as a magical family, she said, "I don't know. It would just be cool."

Hey, I agree! It would be cool. And it reminds that when I was a kid, and I thought about what superpower I would want if I was to join the Hall of Justice or become an independent contractor super hero, I always chose the ability to stretch -- like the guy in Fantastic Four or Plastic Man from Saturday morning cartoons. And, to top it off, I used to think this would be great because when I was done reading in bed at night I would be able to stretch my arm and turn off the light switch way over there by the door. What a monumental nerd that makes me sound like! Nowadays, I could probably think of other preferable superpowers -- flight? strength? fireballs out of my fingertips? -- but that stretch thing would still be all right.

And Lindsay is certainly not a magical baby -- she does her share of wailing. But there's more and more baby magic emerging every day, as smiles and laughs and cools noises and interactions with her big sister.

Other weekend news: saw Madagascar with Ella yesterday, and enjoyed it. Nothing too surprising about it, but the predictable adult-pleasing references were still pleasing and entertaining enough to make it worthwhile. I think the rectal thermometer humor (among other things) was over Ella's head, but she also seemed to like it. And she made it all the way through, which improved her movie attendance record (in theaters) to something like...3 and 2? Three movies finished, two aborted early? She might still be at .500.

I'm not feeling like I have much to say these days. Can you tell?

(ADDENDUM: ADDED JUNE 13 EVE)

I'm going to give myself a small pat on the back: after nearly five months of avoidance, I called my former brother-in-law and told him I was moving the IRA funds to another broker. I could have just sent in the paperwork and things would have automatically been taken care of, but I decided to not be a coward and to do right by the guy and let him know in person (well, over the phone). It was a tiny bit awkward, but he was nice, and I was nice, and we chit-chatted a bit, and that was that. Weird...I have not spoken to him in more than three years, and I once considered us sort of friends. And I was his son's godfather...no confirmation that this title has been stripped from me, but I'm assuming as much, given the divorce from his sister and all.

No asymptote on that one! Yeah for me for confronting the potential conflict...even if it took me a while to do it. Next: um, confront my fear of car dealers?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?