Thursday, June 16, 2005

A vision of 2013

I was setting up a play date for Ella today over at her friend Grace's, and when I called, Grace answered. After confirming the time with this precocious (?) 4-year-old, I asked if she wanted to talk to Ella.

My life in eight years when Ella is 13 flashed before my eyes. Ella snares the phone from me, marches into her room, plops down on her beanbag chair and proceeds to talk about god knows what for about 10 minutes with Grace. It's like I faded into the upholstery and she did not even care if I was in or out of the room or what I did. It was about talking to her pal. I'm sure the teenage years will unfold with many similar scenarios.

Ella on the way home from swimming lessons: "I wish Nicola and Lindsay were home when we got there. I'm getting kind of bored without them around." Yeah, me too. I'll be glad to see them on Saturday afternoon. Nicola's grandmother died last night, peacefully in her sleep. The service is Tuesday, but we won't be going. Nicola got to say her goodbyes and do her grieving down there with her family, which is what's important.

Selfishly, I'm glad they'll be back for Father's Day and I won't be spending it in Vista; nothing against Vista, but I'd miss seeing Ella on "my" day and having all the family together.

Nothing too pithy to say, but hey, I've blogged like three days in a row! Amazing.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?