Tuesday, July 19, 2005

In a fog

As the traditional San Francisco July weather presents itself -- foggy, windy, cool in the morning, with the burn-off by afternoon -- I find myself in a bit of a mental state that matches the external conditions. I attribute it to a couple of things, the biggest of which is the sad news recently received from mi hermano Gene. It's not my place to share what's going on down there in Houston, but "sad" is woefully inadequate to describe it. Tragic. Devastating. Courage-testing.

I'm headed off to Houston with my other best pal Dave on July 29 to provide Gene with whatever support we can. But in the meantime, I've found myself distracted...to the point of completely neglecting a mom/work balancing challenge that Nicola was struggling with right under my nose. My preoccupied state caused a few days of tension around the house, until we finally identified, confronted and talked it out last night. Our relationship has a low threshhold for discord, which is almost always a good thing. The big stuff gets handled, and the little stuff is dealt with and we move on. What a blessed change from previous relationships...and I'm sure I bear the brunt for at least half of the communication failures in my past. Hey, I learned early on to swallow feelings and express them through attention-grabbing misdeeds -- why would I stop doing that just because I'm a "grown-up?"

So anyway, Gene -- besos. Hang in there. And Nicola -- thanks for putting up with me as I struggled through the past few days.

-----------------------------
I am now going to COMPLETELY shift gears, at the risk of upsetting the gentle nature of this particular post.

But tonight, my favorite summer TV show -- "Rescue Me" -- is on. Denis Leary wuz robbed by the Emmys, by the way. Last week I was watching it, and the episode featured a lengthy discussion of the word...ahem..."twat." Yes, apparently they can say this on TV, and repeatedly. They can even say "twunt" -- an ill-formed combination of two misogynist slang words. Anyway, a later commercial break featured an extended ad for those electric scooters for the elderly and immobile. I think they are a Medicare scam, but the point is -- isn't there a massive disconnect between the viewing demographic and this ad buy? Can the same person possibly be amused by the edgy wordplay in "Rescue Me" AND be in the market for a scooter?

Curious, but perhaps only to me.

P.S. Welcome to all the people who googled the word "twat" and ended up here! Sorry to disappoint!

Comments:
You are forgiven...who could stay mad at someone who is in a fog because he loves and cares about his friend so much? Not to mention the fact that you totally redeemed yourself by coming home last night and proceeding to put Lindsay to bed, make dinner, clean the bathroom and do the dishes!!
lymy -- your woman
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?