Monday, July 25, 2005

Self flagellation

I had dinner tonight with my good friend Eric -- an enjoyable time, as usual. He and I have similar father issues/backgrounds, we've both been through divorces (well, he's an "almost"), and we think about things in a very similar way. I feel very fortunate that I randomly ran into him on Market Street in San Francisco one day last spring...more than a decade after we used to hang out in Chapel Hill as aimless post graduates.

As we battled through horrendous table service that crossed over from indifferent to inept (hey, we aren't all tourists here!), he and I got talking about how we are generally like ourselves these days, after periods of ongoing introspection. And I said..."Well, not today, because I spent the day beating myself up for watching hours of stupid TV last night and staying up too late and making myself tired all day" or something to that effect.

In the interest of self confession (and semi-public self flagellation), here's how I spent my precious Sunday night:

No, I don't feel better at all. But now I have something in writing to refer back to when I'm tempted to waste hours of my life being numbed by bad television. I will still indulge, but perhaps I can be a bit more selective..."Rescue Me" or the "Scrubs" first season DVD set I got for Father's Day...or an eagerly awaited Scott Caan tripleheader...someday!

Nicola, come home and save me from myself!

Referring to an earlier post, I've made outreach to some old friends...Theo, JL, you know who you are. Welcome, good to see you.

Final thought: me and the kids...right where I belong.


Comments:
I, too, feel lucky that I bumped into you last spring. A lot's changed for both of us since then, huh? One thing has stayed the same, though. I still watch a lot of bad TV.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?