Monday, August 29, 2005

Ella Rose Steps Out

Dear Ella,

How proud of you I am today, as you -- my little girl -- took a big step out into world and started kindergarten. I'm sorry I was not there to watch and cheer you on...I hope you know how much I wanted to be, but sometimes your mom and dad don't do things together like other moms and dads, as you know. But even if I wasn't there to wave goodbye to you and to marvel at the passing of another milestone in your life...I could just imagine you, marching into the classroom, your new backpack over your shoulders, your blond hair back in a braid, your blue eyes twinkling. I was thinking of you, and I couldn't wait to hear all about it.

I knew you would do great! Yes, sometimes you are shy, and sometimes anxious, and you are so sensitive at times, like when you worry about what's going to happen to people or whales or baby penguins in the movies. You are also smart, in tune with the needs of others, curious (like George!), quick to laugh, helpful and almost always good with your manners.

You expressed some nervousness about leaving your old school behind after three years, and leaving behind your close friends and your teachers who adored you so. That's OK -- that's understandable. Yet mixed with the nervousness was excitement about the new place and the new classmates and the unknown...and I'm so proud of you for how you handled this change and the many others that have come your way.

One of my favorite sounds is your pure laughter, and there's nothing quite like the feeling of your arms around my neck and your hand nestled in mine. Today, kindergarten...wow! Wasn't it just yesterday I was dozing with you on my chest, a puddle of baby drool spreading on my shirt? And before I know it, tomorrow will be another sign of you growing up. But you will always be my little girl...my Buttercup...my Kiddo. I'm not with you every day...and that kills me more than I can ever tell you...but I'm here for you always, and I love you.

Enjoy kindergarten! Life may never be so simple again. Learn all you can, have fun, make friends, and then tell me all about it.

Love,
Daddy
Ella at 2 and a half























Ella at 5 and a half, just before starting kindergarten

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?