Tuesday, August 09, 2005

First and first again

I've been laying low for a week or so, awaiting the blogging muse. This is an easy habit to let go...I scrubbed the kitchen (including those grimy liner things under the stove burners) last night instead of blogging for goodness sake. I hope once I get back into a regular routine, both my readers will once again be bored silly by my senseless posts.

What to write about today would be...recent firsts for Lindsay, yeah that's it! I'll get back in the groove by going diary on you.

First number one: solid food! If you can count rice cereal and other such mush as solid. But anyway, Lindsay started on solids last week, after I got back from Houston. There is no way to describe in words what a baby's face looks like as she tastes something of a totally foreign texture for the first time, so without further ado:

That doesn't quite do it justice...but you get the idea, I think? Lindsay has taken to food well, particularly the implement.

It's another sign of how quickly she is changing and turning into a little person instead of a little needy blob. I know from Ella what's ahead and how much more entertaining and enchanting Lindsay will become, but what a fantastic age now! (Note: just about all parents will say "what a great age" about their kid at any time.) Developing and learning and changing in leaps each week, plus I get the incredible giddy/giggly reaction when I come home from work.

Lindsay is sleeping great too; we've had a few nights this week where she was down from 7:30 p.m. to after 6 a.m. the next morning, with no food required in the interim. Now that's what I call sleeping through the night! And a rested baby means a happy baby, which looks like:


Such a joyous creature! I must say, she lights up the room/house/ferry/grocery store/car/sidewalk with her grin, and I'll do just about anything to get a laugh. If I find a ticklish zone to nuzzle on her cheek that produces a giggle, I'll go back to that well again and again to the point of tiring us both out. Can't help it -- baby giggles are like meth for parents: addicting, making you act crazy...except it doesn't rot your teeth or drain your bank account.

Maybe I'll get back to more topical stuff in a couple of days. I've been thinking about writing about Israel and my trip to Jerusalem and the Dead Sea in 1999, with all the Israeli/Gaza stuff in the news. Or documenting the often-overlooked career of Dwight Evans, #24, Red Sox outfielder and occasional All Star who put up some good numbers and played an outstanding right field. The bloated statistics of the steroid era dwarfed his career batting stats, but it's guys like him who should be revisited. I was always Dwight Evans when I and my friends played home run derby or wiffle ball. Brett was Kevin McReynolds, Ted was Pedro Guerrero and Rich was Don Mattingly (or Rickey Henderson?). What a foursome we were, circa 1983 to 1987 and even a bit beyond that. Where are you now, Richard George, aka Science?

See, I can digress and write about something other than mushed bananas and sleep schedules!

And now I leave you with photos of all my ladies:


Comments:
Dewey had a great arm, too! Don't forget the other overlooked Evans, Darrell, whose achievements are also buried in this pumped-up age. He had a great season with the Tigers late in his career, as I recall.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?