Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Texas state bird

I made a joke while I was down in Houston that the Texas state bird was "The Bird" -- meaning the official "fuck you" gesture of a raised middle finger. Get it? Flip the bird...state bird...yeah, only moderately amusing, but in the midst of my sorrowful weekend trip, it passed for hilarious. And Texas is probably a place where this would be appropriate, right?

I have not blogged since I got back because, honestly, I have no idea how to express what I experienced down there, and I'm reluctant to even share the most minimal of details due to the private nature of what my best friend Gene and his wife Jimena are going through. At the same time, I've found it hard to write or think about much else in the past few days.

My weekend in Houston was one of the most profoundly sad, moving and surreal experiences of my life, and I feel like it will be with me forever. As I dance around this and express these feelings...well, I feel a bit like a fraud or a poseur or something...Gene and Jimena and their immediate family are the ones truly impacted. Who am I to moan and wail? I mean no disrespect to those involved -- I am only sharing the global impact on me, as someone who cares deeply about Gene and Jimena. And as a parent who knows what it is like to love a child.

My sincerest sympathies to the Larson/Mendoza family, and my admiration for their strength and courage during this unbelievably difficult time.

A couple of positive things I will take away from my Houston trip: appreciation for my friendships with Gene and Dave, who have stood by me through some bad times and who are just about the closest thing I have to brothers on the planet; and a reminder to count my blessings daily, because you just never know. I don't think I've ever been happier to see Nicola and Lindsay as I was on Monday morning at the Oakland airport.

--------------------------
Texas comments:

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?