Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Nothing runs like a Deere

I walked across the street today at lunchtime to the old Del Monte factory, which is now a combo hotel and shopping establishment called the Cannery. OK, it was a cannery long before it was The Cannery; the building was once the largest peach cannery in the world. Now, the whole area reeks of tourism, which is a drawback, but I appreciate the effort to save a cool old building, and the hotel is nice.

I am perplexed, however, by the arrival of a John Deere store in the Cannery. I just don't see that San Francisco tourists are going to be motivated to buy a 1/32 scale tractor or a branded piece of John Deere clothing. I heard a store worker say the other retails outlets for JD are in Tennessee and South Carolina, and of course there's the mothership in Moline, Ill.

Hmm.

San Francisco
Tennessee
South Carolina
Moline

"One of these things is not like the other. Which one is it, do you know?"

All this being said, I'm already planning a Deere-themed shopping excursion for the young kids on my holiday shopping list. Tractors are cool when you're six.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?