Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Have I mentioned Bailey?

I was going to write this morning about...what was it? The lady I saw plucking her eyebrows on the BART train yesterday (only topped in grossness by the fingernail clipping I've seen on the train)? Our dreadful slog through Toys R Us on Sunday evening, searching for THE gift for Ella (soon to be 6)? The sad fate of Arrested Development (another strong showing last night), or the unappreciated genius 0f Scrubs (we've just about finished watching the first season DVDs)?

Whatever. I'm moved to write briefly of Bailey, our beloved but often overlooked dog. My acquaintance Ian wrote about his dog today, and many commenters added their perspectives on caring for pets as they age and decline. I've got to go home and give my old girl (10 1/2) some attention tonight...and not the kind of attention that I gave her on Saturday night, when I yelled over and over "What the fuck is your problem?" at her after she tore the kitchen garbage apart and spread trash across several rooms. Our fault for leaving the trash out, but come on!

Anyway, it's sad that I have barely even mentioned Bailey here. She's such a sweet dog and well behaved most of the time -- if it wasn't for the antics, would she get attention at all? Gee, wonder if there's something in that? Dur.

I've had Bailey off and on since she was a puppy. We bought her off a farm in 1995 in Great Falls, Va., outside of D.C. (unsure of our need for our dog...we hesitated...and we fell victim to the "oh, take her home overnight and see what you think" ploy...HOOKED!). And she lived the first three years of her life in and around the Washington area with me and my three roommates and then a succession of their new places, after I moved to Oregon. Come fall 1998, my now-ex-wife and I decided to bring Bailey out to Portland. Just weeks after she arrived, we took her down to the Oregon Coast and she ran around in the surf and had a blast...and blew the ACL in one of her back legs. Surgery followed by a cast followed by rehab (carrying her up and down stairs) and then just about good as new. Three years later...back at the coast...and another ACL tear, this time when her pal Duke (150 pounds of Great Dane/Lab mix) played a bit rough. (Rest in peace to dear, sweet, neurotic Duke, who died last weekend.)

Bailey went in for her second surgery on Sept. 11, 2001 -- I was in the car taking her to the vet when I first heard the news out of NYC. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I listened to the description of the second tower going down.

Four-plus years later, here we are: Bailey is now a California dog, with clean teeth (finally sprung for that) and a lot of energy and pretty good manners and a shortage of attention. With two kids and jobs and housework and what-have-you...she's just a ways down the priority list. Sad but true. I take her for granted, but just the thought of her being around moves me close to tears...I need to reconcile that a bit, don't I?

I'll post some pictures later...right after I give Bailey some love and take her for a walk.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?