Thursday, January 19, 2006

Sisterhood

Big milestone last night for our Lindsay: she "said" her sister's name! OK, it didn't come out as Ella exactly -- more like "A-ya" or "ya-ya" but it was close enough. And she was clearly saying it in reference to Ella -- I would point at a picture of Ella and say "Who's this?" or "Ella" and Lindsay would say "A-ya".

If you don't have kids, you might not appreciate the significance of this event. But for us...well, it brought tears to our eyes. Our Little Bean is growing up! She's said "Da-da" and "uh-oh" and "ma-ma" (or "na-na"?)...maybe even a variation of doggie. But saying her sister's name, well, that was just pretty damn cool. And it gave me a bit of relief as well, I think. With Lindsay's hearing issues, I sometimes worry about how she's progressing with her verbal skills. Yes, 11 months old and I am already stressed about her achievement...but legitimately, no?

It was a nice thing to tell Ella too -- she struggles at times with the Big Sister role, made more complicated by the fact that she only spends a couple of weekends a month with us. She loves Lindsay -- I know this. But Ella is used to being the only kid, and the normal adjustment issues apply.

Well, milestone noted. Obligatory cute photo provided (thanks Mom for the hand-knit sweater!).


Comments:
How exciting. Lindsey is a cutie. Siblings are so important to the little ones. My little girl (3) refers to her big brother as "My Frederick." Her daycare teacher was teasing her and called Frederick her Frederick and Mary Emma told me later, "Miss Nik-Nik called Frederick her Frederick. That not berry nice."
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?