Monday, January 16, 2006

What in the world?

Two possible signs of the apocalypse: my father, within 6 weeks, got an iPod and went to see the Rolling Stones. This is a man who I associate, musically, with Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons and Mama Cass (don't ask). Weird. Could it be a belated midlife crisis...63 years old with a 5 year old and a 2 year old? Nah....

Never did like award shows, never will. Too much of the cringe factor: what horrible forced jokey dialogue will they read off cue cards? how painful will the faux spontaneous acceptance speech be? And now to add to the pain, they feature like eight hours of red carpet coverage: who made your dress? are you excited/nervous/anxious? is that all your own hair? how did you get your cleavage to stay like that? when's the last time you ate an actual meal, miss skin and bones? Ugh. My need to avoid confrontation extends to potentially painful situations where someone might embarrass themselves (in my mind): comedy clubs, award shows, figure skating, local newscasts. I just can't take it.

Enjoyed my day off today. Back to work tomorrow...but tomorrow is more significant because it is the first day Lindsay is going to daycare! Big step for us all -- Lindsay heading out three days a week to daycare, providing Nicola with time for herself and her business pursuits. A much-needed change, I think; one I maybe can't fully appreciate, since I'm The Man and I went back to work two weeks after Lindsay arrived. It's just different for moms...not all that profound a statement, but certainly one that I've grown to appreciate more.

Final note: speedy recovery to my uncle Tom Taggart, who recently suffered a minor stroke at age 55. Sounds like he's doing ok, but still...scary.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?