Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Woody Allen's not that far off

My friend Eric posted a review recently of Woody Allen's Match Point, and in it he scolded the filmmaker for relying on the plot convention of people running into each other randomly in the Big City.

Well, it does happen, I think. At least to me, but in strange ways. For example: last week I noticed this guy on the streetcar -- very distinct facial features, is all I'll say in a kind way. I just took note of him, OK? Anyway...over the weekend we were at a local Ikea along with a jillion other people seeking furniture with unpronounceable names they could assemble themselves. And in this huge S.F. metropolis, in a giant warehouse of a store, with 25 checkout lines to choose from...we end up right behind this very same guy. I know it was him. And I saw him on the streetcar again this morning.

What are the odds? Must be long...but Woody Allen isn't completely off base, perhaps. Although I never seem to randomly bump into acquaintances, just strangers I recognize. Does that make sense?

Comments:
Oh, but you do run into acquaintances. Isn't that how you re-connected with Eric? And what about Gary from your Carolina days? And it's not the streets of SF, but you ran into Maureen around the corner from you house. Anyway, my point is that you tend to have many more random meetings than most people I know. Guess you are just "connected" that way...
lymy
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?