Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Good vs. Evil, 2006: Round 1 (second half)

I'm breaking this into two pieces. Second half upcoming.

In the interest of disclosure, I knew a guy who played at Dook. Andy Berndt, who I played basketball with in high school, walked on at Dook his senior year and was on one of the teams that won a national title -- maybe 1990? I can't recall exactly. Anyway, nice guy, even if he was playing for Evil. Andy -- no offense, and thanks for the hospitality when I first moved to PDX.

Here we go. Oops -- Heels turn it over right off the bat.
Paulus airballs a 3. That was fugly -- maybe he ain't the future Redick.

Dook pushes it to 9 on back to back buckets by Redick. 4 turnovers for Tar Heels already. Roy calls a timeout cause he doesn't like what he sees. And neither do I!!

Impressive alley-oop dunk and then a 3 by McRoberts -- lead balloons to 14. Oy. Heels can't get anything going on offense.

UNC gets burned again on the double team of Williams -- Dook swings the ball to Dockery for a 3. Lead is 17. 6 turnovers for UNC on six second half possessions. Then finally a score after Roy pulls practically the whole team.

Bullshit goaltending call -- no way that was going to get up to the rim. And on the replay, they show that Sanders never even touched the ball!

Um, and who is this? Copeland is in, and I have no idea who this guy is. Mike Copeland? Freshman? Bench warmer? McRoberts goes out with four fouls, which is good. And this guy Copeland has a Shaq-like touch at the line.

Bench guys are still in -- they've cut the lead to 54-43 with about 14 minutes left. Roy is making a point here...but how long can he wait? Here they come to the scorer's table. Redick gets goddamn bailed out as he flails around.

8-0 run for the Heels -- improbable. And oh my god -- i just screamed bullshit outloud as Redick draws the most ridiculous charge i've ever seen. Noel dishes the ball and three steps later hits Redick, who flops like a pussy and gets the call.
Offensive rebounds by the handful for the Heels, who can't finish but are staying active.

Redick misfires again, Heels secondary break results in a foul on Williams as Hansbrough goes up for a dunk! It is getting very tense here, and I'm wondering if I should have worn this Carolina T-shirt. I also wore it when I saw the first game of the 2004-05 season, when Santa Clara upset UNC in Oakland.

TV timeout. Heels within 7, going to the line.

Terry charges with UNC having a chance to close to 3. Redick from about 27 feet, hits the 3. Then makes a steal and a layup. Lead back to 10. I hate Redick and all he stands for...but he's a gamer. And a little cheap ass who flops and gets every advantage he can.

Lead is now 6 after Ginyard makes a tip and then a steal and dunk. They just can't get over the hump -- too many turnovers. 8 minutes to go. Dook's bench has yet to score.

Terry for 3 on the secondary break!! Lead is 3 and Dook calls timeout as the Dome blows up. I'm so jealous that Ian is there! What is Redick shooting? He seems to be struggling a bit. Dook turn it over and we get the TV timeout at 7 minutes and change.

I'm so not gellin'
cause Redick is a felon
who has an ugly melon
and i wish he'd just go to hell..'n.
(inspired by Dr Scholls)

Redick is 9 of 18. UNC has 21 turnovers. Terry ties it on a three at 7:07! Isn't a blowout easier sometimes, even if it's a loss?

Noel for 3, gives them a 1 point lead at 64-63. Is this where I make the obligatory "that's no wine and cheese crowd, Sam Cassell" comment? Rebounding lead of something like 40-20 for Carolina -- time after time underneath they are getting second and third chances.

Quentin Thomas has redeemed himself. He is really running the team well right now. Miller's two FTs make it 68-64 with 5:34 to go. A 52-35 deficit really got turned around! 33-12 run!

Redick a huge 3 from the side. 2 pt game, 4:12 to go.

Miller on Redick, can he stay with him? No -- cheap foul call as Redick drives. Tie pending, 2 pt lead as we go under 4 minutes and Redick will be on the line. Jeez, I'm starting to write like Mike Patrick talks.

Gag me. Redick first said he wanted to go to Dook when he saw Laettner hit his miracle against Kentucky. Barf.

Another putback by Hansbrough. 43-22 rebounding edge for UNC. Redick dishes for a 3 by Dockery, 1 pt Dook lead!

Miller 2 FTs, Heels by 1. Ginyard in to play defense, Miller out. Good move by Roy...except a tick-tack foul call puts Williams on the line. Dook up 1, 2:30 to go. OK, I lied -- I'm GLAD I'm not at the game. I'd be a mess. I am a mess!

Fuck. Williams block, followed by a Redick 3. Followed by Dick Vitale performing TV fellatio on Redick. Dook by 4, under two minutes. Hansbrough battles inside, now shooting 2 FTs.

Montross shown on the sideline, doing radio work. Good omen? Nope -- missed FT. Missed another, and then a foul. Not time for that yet! Lead at 6, 1:34 to go. I don't care if the future is bright...yes, the class next year is amazing...but I still want to win today.

I'm writing in the first person, like I'm playing. How pathetic. Redick buries a 3, now has 35 points. I wish they'd call the pushoff...or someone would smack him in the face with a stadium cup as he runs down the court grinning.
I can't go on. 5 pt lead with 45 seconds left. It's almost worse to come back from 17, take the 4 pt lead, and then have the Dookies look like they might overcome. That's painful.

Lead is down to 3 thanks to a stupid play by Dockery. Now Redick throws it away. Dickie V. name drops Sam Cassell -- a bit late, Dick!

Holy shit. 33.1 seconds left, Frasor hits a runner in the lane. It's 84-83!! TO for the Heels. Last one for UNC.

Dook can try to run the clock down, but I see UNC fouling? Paulus gets trapped...yikes! Dook's final timeout. Wow -- what a great fight the Heels have put up. Now I'm writing like Dick Vitale talks.

AAAHHH! Redick turned it over but Dook grabs it in the scramble. Paulus at the line, hits 1. Hits 2. 3 pt lead. heels set up -- ugh. that is fucking horrible -- green drives baseline (??) and puts up a crappy 2 pt shot. Rebound Dook, game just about over.

Dook 87-83. Heels fight but they can't get the good possession at the end.

Did anyone notice that Redick is making the Shocker hand symbol as he hits threes? Isn't that a bit vulgar for someone so lionized in the media. I'll post the link when I find it for what the Shocker is.

Live blogging isn't too fun when your team loses.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?