Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Commence smooching

Dook gets enough praise in the media...we don't need decent reporters heaping more on that is factually unjustified. I read something on ESPN.com that prompted me to fly this e-mail off to Deadspin:

------------------------------

I usually like Andy Katz, but this is just lazy:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney06/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2378395

He falls all over himself to praise Dook for nine straight Sweet 16 trips, and says:

"John Wooden's seven straight NCAA titles (10 total) at UCLA might be the hardest college basketball record to break.
Don't be surprised, though, if Mike Krzyzewski's nine straight Sweet 16 appearances at Duke ends up being just as difficult to approach."

Um, that record is approached and passed, pal. North Carolina went to something like 13 straight Sweet Sixteens, with the run ending in 1994 with a second-round loss to Boston College at the Cap Center outside of D.C. A while ago, but still. He references John Wooden -- I can reference 1994. At least I think that's the case...I am a UNC grad and I was at that 1994 game as a stringer for the Durham Morning-Herald.

But perhaps time has faded my memory, or the source of my degree has warped it.

I feel better. Thanks.
Bill Taggart
(wftpdx occasional commenter on deadspin)

Comments:
will you ever forget the name donya abrams? i know i won't...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?